Another good day in court. The three judges were engaged with the subject and asked quite a lot of questions (they seemed sensible questions to me).
Now we wait until judgment is handed down which I guess will be at least a month away – maybe more.
It wouldn’t be wise to comment on how things went but I will say that it brings a smile to my face when hearing lawyers speak confidently about biology and get it wrong. But it isn’t their biological acumen on which the decision rests but on their reading of the law.
We learned one thing, I think, and that was that there is a significant chance that brood-meddling will be off the agenda this year because of COVID-19. That’s what I think I heard, and we’ll be seeking confirmation of that with Natural England as a matter of urgency.
It is in the very nature of judicial reviews (and in this case, appealing a judgment of such a judicial review) that one is operating at the edge of the legal interpretation. But my legal team didn’t leave anything on the pitch – we gave it our very best shot and I am deeply grateful to them as well as to all of us who funded this challenge.
And so now we wait. And as always with legal cases, I remain hopeful of success, but not confident of it. But also sure taht this legal challenge, and this appeal, were the right things to do.[registration_form]