Remarkable Birds is a celebration of the world’s birds through exquisite ornithological illustrations, prints and drawings (and some words by me).
We share the Earth with more than 10,000 species of birds. Here, more than 60 birds – organized thematically – cover the following aspects of our relationships with them.
• ‘Songbirds’ – the greatest bird virtuosi from Nightingale to lyrebirds
• ‘Birds of Prey’ from majestic hunters such as the Harpy Eagle to the crepuscular Bat Hawk
• ‘Feathered Travellers’ – astounding journeys made by birds from hummingbirds to Cuckoos
• ‘The Love Life of Birds’ – from faithful Mute Swans to birds of paradise
• ‘Avian Cities’ – species that live in spectacular colonies from flamingos to Puffins
• ‘Useful to Us’ – how we find birds of value from the domestic chicken to the Canary.
• ‘Threatened & Extinct’ – Spoon-billed sandpiper to Great Auk
• ‘Revered & Adored’ – birds in myths and legends, from Sacred Ibis to the Resplendant Quetzal
John Lewis-Stempel makes Remarkable Birds a The Times book of the year for 2016, ‘Avery’s pen portraits are exquisite, as are the hundreds of accompanying antique paintings and drawings by the likes of Audubon and Thornton. The book is like holding gold or jewels. I cannot put it down‘ – full review
Jeremy Mynott, Times Literary Supplement – review
Michael McCarthy, Resurgence and Ecologist – review
Robert Tanitch, Mature Times – review
Matt Merritt in Birdwatching magazine – review
Folio Society – review
San Francisco book review, ‘a perfect gift for any birdwatcher, whether they be amateur or pro’ – review
Buy direct from Blackwell’s – a proper bookshop (and I’ll get a little bit of money from them)