The Birdwatch Birders’ Choice nominations are published, and the closing date is the end of this month – click here.
The short-listed nominations for Campaign of the Year are:
- #NetsDownForNature made a lot of useful noise and drew attention to the netting of trees, buildings, hedges back in the spring – it made a difference
- Wild Justice burst on the scene with legal action against gamebird releases and the general licences
- Extinction Rebellion grabbed headlines and attention for climate change and biodiversity loss in the UK and across the world
- Birds and Debris – I hadn’t heard of this one before
- Come fly a kite with Chris Packham
I’m pretty sure that Chris won’t mind me saying that he’d rather several of the others on the list won ahead of his kite-flying pop-up event, and Birds and Debris looks like a very new initiative which needs to prove itself. So, for me at least, it comes down to the top three on the list.
Obviously I’d love Wild Justice to win but it’s a bit like comparing apples and aspirins when one looks across the three campaigns at the top of the list. It’s a privilege to be listed at all.