- the West may have been too friendly to Russia over the last few years – I expect Russia was saying ‘we’re all on the same side really‘ when it might not be true. It’s important to know who is on your side, and who isn’t, and treat them accordingly
- the West has looked as though it is more interested in the Russian economy than in right and wrong – and perhaps Russia is more interested in land and power than in trading with the West
- when you see Gazprom listed as a sponsor of Champions League football it’ll look pretty odd if things blow up further in the Ukraine and Crimea before the final in Lisbon on 24 May
- some might wish we had a few more wind turbines scattered around the UK in case Russia turns off the gas pipelines
- Putin appears to pay quite a lot of attention to wildlife causes – cuddly mammals at least
- there is one regular reader of this blog in Kiev – hi there!