Isn’t ‘encyclical’ a nice word?
Climate change is real and it’s getting worse
Human beings are a major contributor to climate change
Climate change disproportionately affects the poor
We can and must make things better
Individuals can help but politicians must lead the charge.
Now, I’ve been saying all those things for years but I have a feeling that the Pope saying them will have a rather bigger impact – thank God!
Here are ten reasons why the world will and should listen to the Pope on climate change:
- He doesn’t need to seek re-election – he can tell it as he sees it.
- He doesn’t have to deliver share-holder value – he can tell it as he sees it.
- He is a scientist by training – not that scientists all agree or are infallible.
- Popes are thought by some to be infallible
- He sounds like he means what he is saying.
- There are 1.2bn Catholics in the world – about one in six of the total population.
- The countries with the most Catholics are Brazil, Mexico, Philippines, USA and Italy – not bad places to start addressing rainforest loss and consumption.
- Jeb Bush doesn’t like it.
- Pope Francis is right…
- …no, really, he’s right!