Nobody really trusts politicians these days (which personally I think is sad because there are some good ones out there) but until recently we have trusted government agencies. In nature conservation, in the olden days, some of the greatest nature conservationists of their time, of any time, worked in and led the statutory agencies – and yes, I have Derek Ratcliffe in mind amongst many others.
After reorganisations and cuts our statutory agencies are shadows of their former selves – and yet the job we need them to do is just as great and just as difficult as ever.
There are many good staff in Natural England but it is a failing organisation – failing to do its job for nature, failing the public and therefore failing to retain our trust.
Our crowdfunder is to take legal action against Natural England – to make them do their job properly! I’m sad that it has come to this. It would have been hard to imagine a decade ago and it’s the consequence of political neutering of a once laudable organisation (if you consider NE, EN, NCC and NC as being one evolving body).
Just look at some of the comments that supporters of this legal challenge have attached to their donations:
- Keith £50 – Natural England are a corrupt body
- Chris £10 – We’re standing up to the nature trashers because are NGOs and Statuatory Bodies don’t have the stomach for the fight
- David £10 – Natural England has been weakened so drastically that it offers very little protection & needs to be challenged
- Brian £35 – Good luck with this Mark, Natural England have lost all credibility, in backing this proposed track with downright dodgy data!
- Chris £500 – I’m pleased to give but confounded by the fact that I’ve already paid these miscreants through my taxes – they are so compromised
- Nigel £25 – Natural England seem to be less fit for purpose than the Home Office, if that’s possible.
- Tracey £10 – Thank you for taking this ridiculous department to task.
- Mike £10 – The four countries’ statutory advisers are not fit for purpose. They need a very fundamental reform, so that they stand up for biodiversity, including objecting to damaging development proposals
- Rosemary £100 – It is outrageous that Natural England can allow a landowner to damage his land
And that is just a selection of some of the most recent bolshy comments.
Win or lose this case – and I am confident that we can win – under this government and under its recent and present leadership, Natural England has lost the trust of the public. We do not think that NE is working for wildlife and we do not think that it is working for the taxpayer.
Please help draw a line in the sand – or actually in the peat – and make NE do its job properly. Please add your support to this crowdfunder to mount a legal challenge which, if successful, will make NE do its job properly. Thank you.