…I can see clearly now the rain has gone!
I can see all obstacles in my way…
We wish Owen Paterson clear vision for the months ahead.
1. Climate change is real
2. Fixing bovine tb cannot be done by a cull of badgers alone
3. Culling badgers is quite likely to increase the incidence of bovine tb
4. Eric Pickles would make a more reliable sandbag than colleague
5. David Cameron makes a habit of undermining his SoS for Environment – 100% record to be exact
6. When it comes to getting things done, having some experts in EA and NE is quite handy
7. In a crisis, Ian Liddell-Grainger is less useful even than Eric Pickles or David Cameron
8. The ministerial team in Defra is pretty weak
Mr Paterson must be wondering ‘How can I get something useful done, of which I can be proud, before May 2015 or whenever I get moved out of Defra?’.
He may even be realising that having alienated NGOs, the civil service and statutory agencies, and having such weak and unreliable colleagues, he has painted himself into a corner with a dead ash tree, a dead badger, extremes of weather and rising waters without any friends.