A while ago I let NE know what I thought of them and asked a few questions of them. Fair dos, they have come up with a decent-ish response.
We learn that the long-running and long overrunning NE Hen Harrier research project will get an airing in Vancouver in August, that the southern reintroduction project is hopelessly stalled and that it takes more or less a calendar year for NE to investigate the killing of species in an SPA.
You asked for:
1. Please tell me when that analysis [of the Hen Harrier tracking data] will be available to the public?
The Hen Harrier tracking data is currently being analysed by leading raptor experts and will be presented at the International Ornithological Congress in August. Following this we intend to make the Hen Harrier data available to the public through a suitable format.
2. Is that right [that those who might provide Hen Harrier chicks [for southern reintroduction] from outside England have noticed your strange and irrational behaviour and don’t think that you are a fit and able body to be given Hen Harrier chicks]?
No, this is not correct as Natural England does not recognise the situation you set out. I can confirm however that we do not plan to release any birds this year.
3. Whose investigation [into the ‘Bowland gull cull’]?
It is Natural England’s investigation.
4. It’s not a police investigation, it’s an NE investigation, isn’t it?
That is correct, it is not a police investigation.
5. Does it really take 10 months to investigate known individuals killing juvenile gulls in an SPA?
The case is complex so Natural England has needed this time to complete a thorough investigation and to allow it to assess the next course of action.
6. Are you investigating yourselves or others?
Natural England is conducting an investigation of others.
7. Please tell me what is going on?
The investigation is in its final stages.
- Posted in: Grouse and harriers